We love the purple dragon fruit for its eye-catching magenta flesh. However, compared to the white-flesh variety, this one has a more berry-like sweetness. Also growing in Israel is a smaller and visually distinct variety of dragon fruit, the purple dragon fruit, which resembles a substantial pink pine cone.
When you break it open, you’ll find spongy white stuff that’s edible and coated with black seeds. When you cut it open, you’ll find the inside of it. From the outside, the fruit appears like a vivid purple bulb, and the green leaves surrounding it have a spike-like appearance and surge-like flames.
The purple dragon fruit, or pitaya as it’s more commonly known, is a South American import. As its name suggests, the dragon fruit’s rind resembles a dragon’s scaly skin.
Hylocereus polyrhizus, or the purple dragon fruit, is a subspecies of the red dragon fruit. The purple color of purple dragon fruit is due to an exceptionally high concentration of the pigment betalain.
Purple dragon fruit can significantly lower blood pressure due to its high antioxidant content. Additionally, the antioxidant component can help keep blood vessels flexible.
It’s fascinating to learn about this fruit’s nutritional benefits. Purple dragon fruit contains impressive nutrients that can satisfy multiple bodily requirements.
Thalassemia is the most common cause of anemia in humans. Eating purple dragon fruit can treat thalassemia because it raises hemoglobin levels in the blood.
Because of its high potassium content, the purple dragon fruit is helpful for warding against several illnesses. For example, eating a lot of this fruit is essential to reduce your risk of developing kidney stones.
Women who are expecting will benefit significantly from eating purple dragon fruit. Pregnant women must take the fruit because of the folate it contains. The fruit’s high folate content aids in developing the baby’s DNA.
What Kind Of Dragon Fruit Is Purple?
Even while they’re all technically red dragon fruits, the insides can be a wide range of colors, from hot pink to deep purple to delicate magenta.
- Cosmic Charlie: This magenta-fleshed variety rounds out the Deadhead crowd with a heavenly taste of grape and kiwi.
- Delight: This pink dragon fruit lives up to its name with generous proportions, a velvety texture, a sweet flavor, and gorgeous soft pink flesh.
- Makisupa: The Makisupa kind of dragon fruit has a lovely magenta flesh with a sweet and tart flavor.
- Purple Haze: One of the most significant kinds of dragon fruit, the Purple Haze is named after a Jimi Hendrix song and has a richer, more tropical-oriented flavor than other varieties.
- Voodoo Child: This purple dragon fruit lives up to its spooky moniker despite its diminutive size; the egg-sized fruit is packed with a sweet, grape-like flavor.
Is White Or Purple Dragon Fruit Better?
It’s possible that you already know this from your experience with other types of fruit, but the darker the color, the better the concentration of antioxidants that will be found in the fruit itself. So that’s another way of saying that purple-fleshed dragon fruits typically have higher levels of antioxidants and a higher concentration of vitamin C.
When compared to white dragon fruit, purple dragon fruit has a few distinctive characteristics that set it apart. On the other hand, the white type typically has fewer sugars per serving. In contrast, the purple variety typically has more sugars per serving, which is why the white variety typically has a less sweet taste.
Unlike dragon fruits with a white interior, fruits with a purplish inner are juicier and sweeter than those. Nevertheless, there are certain deviations from the rule, particularly concerning the distinction between white vs. purple dragon fruit.
Now that we have your attention, it is entirely up to you to decide which option is more appealing. Because they are naturally sweeter than their white counterparts, the fruits with a crimson interior are our favorite.
Even though the color and flavor may differ, the tiny black seeds are still the same and can be consumed without problems. Therefore, one could consider them to be analogous to kiwi seeds.
What’s The Difference Between Purple And White Dragonfruit?
- Compared to the white type, the purple one has redder blossom tips. In rare cases, the white variety will have yellow or white flower tips. The fragrances of both flower varieties are lovely.
- Dragon fruits often range in color from purple to pink or red, and all of them feature the distinctive triangular “ears” or “scales” on the main body of the fruit. They’re green and thicker than average. While purple fruit is narrower, it has fewer scales and is darker in color than its white counterpart.
- It’s hard to tell purple from white dragon fruits just by looking at the branches. This is because the branches of the purple ones are thorny than those of the white ones.
- Dragon fruit has several possible applications and advantages. It is common knowledge that foods with dark red skin have higher antioxidant contents. As a result, purple dragon fruit is a better source of antioxidants than its white counterpart.
Is Purple Dragon Fruit Healthy?
The flavor of dragon fruit is said to be a cross between a kiwi and a pear, and it is said to have an energizing and refreshing sweetness. Dragon fruit smoothies, dragon fruit juice, dragon fruit tea, dragon fruit cakes, and dragon fruit jam are some of the exquisite drinks and meals that may be made with this ingredient.
Purple dragon fruit is an excellent source of vitamins B and C. As a consequence of this, it has a multitude of positive effects on one’s health. In addition, Pitayas and purple dragon fruits are two sources of vitamin C that can be consumed to meet the requirements of the recommended daily amount.
The antioxidants included in dragon fruit can bring blood pressure down to a healthier level. In addition, the antioxidant component can be used to provide the springiness of the blood vessels.
One of the most surprising advantages that dragon fruit provides to one’s health is that it eliminates a wide variety of toxins from the body. In addition, antioxidants in dragon fruit comparable to vitamin C will assist the body in its detoxification processes.