With 11 distinct varieties and over 85 flavors, Yoplait is sure to have yogurt to suit your taste buds and dietary requirements. As with all yogurt, Yoplait’s products are nutrient-dense and beneficial to the body. Understanding the health benefits can help you overcome any guilt you may experience when adding Red Velvet and Boston Creme Pie or Yoplait yogurt to your cart.
Yoplait yogurt is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D, two nutrients that contribute to the health and strength of your bones. Depending on the yogurt you purchase, one serving provides between 10% and 30% of the daily calcium requirement and 20% of the daily vitamin D requirement. Unfortunately, many Americans do not consume enough calcium or vitamin D. Including Yoplait yogurt in your diet can assist you in meeting your daily nutritional requirements.
On the Yoplait yogurt label, you’ll notice that it contains live active cultures such as Lactobacillus acidophilus. These cultures are bacteria that naturally occur in the human gut and are occasionally referred to as friendly bacteria or probiotics. Consuming yogurt such as Yoplait contributes to the replenishment of beneficial bacteria in the heart, which may help boost immunity and overall health.
How to select the healthiest yogurt brand available:
- Take note of the ingredients: This list should be kept to a minimum. The focus should be active cultures and the milk plus the added nutrients.
- Limit your sugar intake: Experts advise women to limit their daily sugar intake to 24 grams, while men should limit it to about 36 grams. In addition, she warns that many yogurts contain far more than 20 grams of sugar per serving. (Our recommendations below contain no more than 10 grams of sugar.)
- Consider the fat: Health professionals prefer nonfat yogurt and top it with various satisfying toppings, including fiber-rich fruits, nuts, and seeds, to increase the healthy fat content. There is also the
- Increase the protein content: Aim for a minimum of 5 grams of protein per serving of cow’s milk yogurt. Choosing a strained yogurt brand, such as Greek yogurt, can significantly increase that number—helping you stay fuller for longer.
Is Yoplait Yogurt Good for Losing Weight?
Like all yogurts with live and active cultures, Yoplait varieties provide health benefits. However, the Yoplait brand has some more nutritious products than others. When selecting yogurt, always read the nutrition label to learn more about what you’re eating. It’s somewhat interesting for two reasons. First, it contains probiotics, linked to more muscular immune systems and a decreased risk of cancer and gum disease.
Additionally, Yoplait’s yogurts are fortified with vitamin D, which aids the body in absorbing more calcium. However, not all yogurts contain an adequate number of probiotics. On some cartons containing live and active cultures, the National Yogurt Association’s Live & Active Cultures seal appears (such as this one). It does have more sugar than we prefer.
Is Yoplait Yogurt Good for Your Stomach?
While some calorie-conscious individuals may choose to avoid dairy products while counting calories, a recent study indicates that this strategy may end up backfiring.
According to research presented today at the Experimental Biology conference, yogurt may help boost the body’s fat-burning capacity, making it easier to lose fat while maintaining lean muscle. According to one study, individuals who included Yoplait Light in their weight loss plan lost significantly more than those who reduced their calorie intake. During the 12-week study, the yogurt eaters lost 22% more weight, 61% more body fat, and 81% more trunkal (stomach) fat.
The study examined the effect of including yogurt in a low-calorie diet on 34 healthy obese adults assigned to two diet groups. Each day, the Yoplait Light group consumed approximately 1,100 milligrams of calcium through three servings of Yoplait Light yogurt. The other low-calcium positive control absorbed about 500 milligrams of calcium per day – or the amount found in the standard American diet, which is perennially deficient in calcium.
Not only did yogurt assist participants in the study lose the weight of an average of 13 pounds—but it was also about twice as efficient at preserving lean muscle mass. This is a critical point to remember when dieting — the goal should be to lose fat, not muscle. While muscle helps burn calories, it is frequently harmed during weight loss.
Additionally, participants who consumed Yoplait Light lost 81 percent more fat in the stomach area, the most dangerous type of fat. Individuals who are “apple-shaped” obese and have excess fat around their midsection are at an increased risk of developing stroke and heart disease, plus certain types of cancer. Compared to those on a low-calcium diet, the calcium-rich diet helped participants lose more than an inch around their waist. This resulted in a nearly sixfold increase in waist circumference reduction.
What Is the Healthiest Yoplait Yogurt?
We would have to recommend Yoplait Light for those who want to lose weight, as it has fewer calories but will still help control your appetite. Furthermore, Yoplait Light comes in different flavors, so you won’t have to skimp on the yum while trying to lose weight. Finally, weight loss warriors need to be more selective about their snacks, as the sugar calories can easily sneak in.
What Brand of Yogurt Is the Healthiest?
- Chobani – We adore this yogurt’s simple ingredients, ultra-smooth texture, and versatility. Additionally, it contains live active cultures for a bifidobacteria boost.
- Fage Total– This is an excellent yogurt in every way. We particularly enjoy the taste of plain yogurt because it is not chalky or strange. In addition, it’s high in protein and probiotics, making it an ideal midday snack.
- Siggis – Siggi’s yogurts are a type of Icelandic Skyr, which means they are ultra-strained, resulting in an enormously thick, low-carb tablespoon. If your mood calls for creamy, reach for this one.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The main picture is from Like_the_Grand_Canyon.