Gluten is a variant of protein mainly found on grains like wheat, barley, and rye. Spaghetti noodles, an available kitchen staple, might contain a high level of gluten—knowing that it is made with high-quality durum wheat flour. Gluten works as a binder by holding the food with the right “stretchy” consistency.
This protein is the main reason why pizza dough can be rolled and stretched without ripping. Spaghetti noodles also need enough gluten to be tested and formed into long, elliptical strands. Consuming gluten does not impose health risks unless you cannot tolerate gluten as part of your diet.
Do Spaghetti Noodles Have Gluten?
Pasta is a staple food in several cultures. There are several variants of this pasta, and it depends on the starch source. Some noodles use starches with high content of gluten—which cannot be consumed by people with celiac disease. Celiac disease is a form of disease that can damage their stomach lining, particularly the small intestine.
This is why a gluten-free diet starts to grow into the community. Other people who want to control their diet try to work on eliminating gluten in their daily diet. Looking for a gluten-free diet can be challenging, knowing that some areas might not have the same sources.
Spaghetti noodles and all pasta contains gluten since these products use wheat flour as their primary starch. This is essential to produce the elastic structure we grew to love on our pasta. The best way to know if your spaghetti pasta is suitable for people with gluten intolerance, you must check the primary ingredients used in your noodle.
- Aside from wheat, several grains may contain gluten. Barley and rye are the two commonly used grains to create authentic pasta, but on the sauce itself (in wine and beer).
- Other gluten-containing grains include triticale, spelt, Kamut, wheat berries, farro, farina, and couscous.
- Oats are naturally gluten-free food. However, several manufacturers use the same machinery used to process flour and other food that contains gluten. This might contaminate your oat during the processing period.
Is Barilla Spaghetti Gluten-Free?
Spaghetti noodle is one of the most popular pasta shapes all over the world. People with wheat allergy, gluten allergy, and celiac disease must be pickier on selecting their food. Instead of discarding spaghetti from your diet, you can use gluten-free spaghetti pasta.
Barilla, a known international pasta brand, uses non-GMO ingredients like corn and rice. The right proportion of corn and rice emulates the consistency found on wheat-type spaghetti. Barilla Gluten-Free Spaghetti provides the best alternative to create your pasta dishes.
Preparing your Barilla Gluten-Free Spaghetti is easy as it seems. It has the same preparation time, which means that you don’t have to adjust yourself in preparing this pasta. This pasta can reach al dente once it is placed on boiling water for 10-11 minutes.
Cooking your everyday pasta dishes with Barilla Gluten-Free Spaghetti will provide you the following benefits:
- This spaghetti can emulate the same classic pasta taste and texture that the whole family loves.
- The right proportion of corn and rice flour creates the proper elasticity found with its wheat alternative.
- Enjoy a healthier food since it uses non-GMO ingredients. It is processed using machinery that is not mixed with gluten.