As the most common method of knife storage, knife blocks aren’t necessarily the best. These knife storage options allow you greater versatility without sacrificing safety or style.
A variety of knife storage options have been developed over the years. However, various issues remain, especially for families with curious children, such as classic knife blocks, in-drawer strips, and more.
Around age two, children begin to imitate their parents as they prepare meals. The block quickly becomes a problem if you don’t have a knife set that matches the quantity and size of the slots.
When you consider how much counter space the block consumes, which is already at a premium in most kitchens, the block’s supposed advantages quickly fade away. So, where do you keep any more knives you acquire if you already own a knife set that fits the block?
When it comes to the best knife storage system, there are a variety of viewpoints. However, according to experts, the most crucial rule of knife storage is not where you keep your kitchen blades but how you prepare them before putting them away.
How Do I Keep My Kitchen Knives Away from My Child?
Numerous equipment and utensils in the kitchen should not be used in the presence of youngsters. One of the most important is a kitchen knife.
One of the most dangerous things to use in the kitchen is the knife, which takes the first position in this list of kitchen tools. Keep your kitchen knives out of the reach of youngsters and avoid mishaps by properly storing them.
To keep your kitchen safe and your knives in good condition, it’s imperative that you use proper knife storage. In addition, finding the best strategy to keep kitchen knives out of the reach of youngsters is essential.
- Magnetic knife holder: One of the most practical and simple solutions is a magnetic knife holder. There is no obligation to worry about your knives if you find a decent place to hang them on the wall.
- Stainless steel rack: This child-proof material may be the answer if you’re looking for something long-lasting, straightforward, and sanitary. There is no risk of injury from grasping any knives because they are all securely enclosed.
- Wooden rack: You can traditionally keep your knives if you choose this. Knives of all shapes and sizes can find a home in this wooden block, including a spot for scissors.
How Do Chefs Store Their Knives?
Even for amateur chefs, having a high-quality pair of knives in the kitchen is essential in achieving culinary success. Therefore, knife storage is just as crucial as purchasing the perfect ones.
Knives can be stored in one of three ways. Magnetic strips for the wall, drawer inserts, and knife blocks for the countertop are all options. Each knife storage solution is safe if used appropriately, but which one is best for you depends on the layout of your kitchen.
- Storage space in a drawer
Always keep an eye out for the safest way to store knives in your house. If you do that, you run the danger of injuring yourself or ruining the blade while reaching in to grasp it.
- Organizing space on a countertop
Since many knife sets are offered as a set, this is probably the most common way to store them. Your cutlery set’s knife block will restrict you to using only the knives that came with it.
- In-wall storage
It’s a terrific idea to hang a magnetic knife strip above your counter if you have the space. It’s both fashionable and practical. In addition, you’ll be able to see every blade.
How Can I Keep My Kitchen Knives Safe?
The greatest kitchen knives are an absolute necessity. A good knife should be easy to use, balanced in hand, razor-sharp, and durable enough to last several generations of family members.
- When inserting or removing a knife, the sharper edge of the blade should not brush against the storage unit. It will eventually lose its sharpness if it rests on the blade’s tip.
- It is possible to insert and remove knives from countertop blocks and holders without damaging the blades. However, when purchasing a knife block, it’s vital to remember that the block is frequently explicitly made for the edges included in the set.
- When purchasing a magnetic strip, make sure it can handle the weight of the knives you intend to hang. The best results can be obtained by purchasing a magnetic strip developed explicitly for a particular knife set, such as the Furi knife set.
What Is the Best Way to Store a Knife to Avoid Dulling the Blade?
In a professional kitchen, knives are crucial, so it’s essential to know how to hold and use them properly. In addition, to keep yourself and your family safe in the kitchen, it’s vital to learn how to use knives properly.
- Use a sharp knife: It takes more effort to cut with a dull knife. If you’re not careful, the knife could slip and cause you harm. One of the cleanest methods to keep your blades safe is sharpening them.
- Make sure you get suitable knives: One of the most critical knife safety recommendations for food service workers is to know how to choose the right blade for the job at hand. Unfortunately, commercial cutlery comes in various styles, shapes, and sizes, making this decision difficult.
- Maintain the cleanliness of your knives: It is critical to clean your blade immediately after each use to prevent the spread of bacteria. In addition, discarded utensils can be dangerous and messy, so don’t leave them on your cutting board or in a soapy sink.
- Properly store your knives: Having a designated knife storage area in your kitchen helps keep your kitchen clean and safe. When your favorite kitchen knives are not in use, they should be kept out of the way of your work area and stored away. Neither your workers nor your knife is protected by simply storing it in a drawer.