A noodle board is a simple piece of kitchen equipment. As the name implies, this platform is used to place your freshly-made noodles and pasta. This wooden slab can be placed on the top of your stovetop when it is not in use. This provides additional counter space, increasing your working area in the kitchen.
All noodle boards are made of wood, and you can create your noodle board by using scrap wood. Cutting boards, despite made with the same material, are not similar to a noodle board. Noodle boards are safe to use and must be cleaned thoroughly to prevent dirt buildup.
What Is the Purpose of a Noodle Board?
In the contemporary kitchen, noodle board is also used as covers for your stove range. Unlike other boards, noodle boards have more expansive coverage. This provides a more extensive surface area for you to work on your dough. You can also use this board to decorate your kitchen, add extra counter space. You can utilize your noodle board as a space for your different kitchen utensils.
Since this is typically made of scrap wood, it cannot place hot pots and pans. Scrap wood has lower heat resistance, and it could be damaged with hot surfaces. This is why you cannot also use a noodle board to slice and dice your ingredients.
Durable noodle board is expensive, yet it has suitable materials to resist heat and knife damages. Several manufacturers provide this type of noodle board, making it an even more versatile kitchen equipment. Using a sturdy noodle board can offer the following benefits:
- Additional surface to prepare your dough. Dough making requires a wide surface area to mix your ingredients thoroughly. Noodle board can create the necessary space for you to schedule your dough—while using your stove for additional space.
- More accessible surface to clean. A marble countertop can be an excellent surface to prepare the dough, but it can be tough to clean and maintain. Wooden variants can provide the needed surface, plus lithesome function.
- Noodle board creates additional counter space. When the stove is cold to touch, you can place the noodle board at the top, and you can use the area to put your extra pots and pans.
- Handles provide support on transporting dough. Traditionally, noodle boards have long handles placed on the separate poles of your pan. This provides the necessary support when you are transferring your dough from one place to another.
- Decorative element for your kitchen. Add another flair to your countertop by using this cookware. Custom designs and etches can provide a better appearance for your kitchen.
- It can be used on your buffet table. Bring your noodle board to the buffet table. You can place your freshly-made pasta and noodles on the board and watch the people amazed on the buffet.
- It can function as a charcuterie board. Cold cuts, cheese, and seasoned fruits can be placed on this wide noodle board as well. This is ideal for a group setting, where a regular-sized board is not enough.
- A specialized noodle board can also be used as a chopping board. As mentioned earlier, specialized variants of noodle board can also be utilized as your chopping board.
Can Noodle Boards Be Used on Gas Stoves?
Noodle board is an old-fashioned cooking output. While it is known to provide the necessary surface to create your fresh noodle and pasta dough, this now functions as a platform to transform your stove into additional counter space. Despite that noodle boards are made with wood, a flammable material can still be used on a gas stove.
If you are hesitant to use noodle board to your stove range, you need to prevent your noodle board from exposure to heat, pilot light, and gas buildup. Once you’ve taken care of this situation, you can use your noodle board as stove covers conveniently.
- A pilot light is a mechanism placed on gas-powered appliances to provides the necessary ignition for your equipment. When you turn on your gas stove, gas is released, and the pilot light ignites, turning your gas into flame. If placed near the wooden material like noodle board, it may scorch the fabric—producing flames.
- Heat buildup easily on the kitchen area. Certain appliances can produce heat inside the kitchen. Prolonged exposure in this area can burn your wooden board. Ensuring that the gas range is cool to touch before placing your gas stove will prevent damage to your noodle board.
- Gas may leak on gas-powered appliances. If mixed with heat, this will produce flames and fires that burn not only your noodle board but also your kitchen. The best way to maintain your noodle board is to place gas, thinner, and other volatile materials away from the heat source.
The Tips of Using Noodle Boards for Safety
Noodle boards can be a great space-saver for your kitchen. You can use this versatile flat surface in your stove range, thanks to the stoic nature of wood. Noodle boards are treated with heat-resistant chemicals that may protect against burns and scalds. Still, wooden utensils can catch flames, and proper safety must still be considered. Listed below are some factors you may consider to use your noodle boards safely.
- Wood is a food-grade material. You can use this surface to prepare, cook, and serve your daily food. Several studies show that tannins might be transferred on wood, but in very minimal amounts only—making it still a food-grade material.
- Make sure that your noodle board is food-safe. Several chemicals mixed in noodle boards (paints, protectants, etc.) might produce specific chemical reactions that can be harmful when inhaled or ingested. If used for food preparation, select noodle boards without decorative elements (paint, gloss, protectant).
- Check the manufacturer information to know more. Noodle boards are made with different methods. The best way to see if you can use your noodle board for daily consumption is to check additional information through the manufacturer. Reading reviews and recommendations will provide insights in selecting your noodle board.
Picture from Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.