With significant fruit variants in hand, berries are considered one of the healthiest foods you can consume daily. They’re nutritious, economical, delicious, and can provide several health benefits for you and for your family to enjoy. Several fruits considered under the -berry lines are blackberries and strawberries.
These fruits are considered two of the most nutritious and beneficial for their eaters. Blackberries contain polyphenols, a form of the enzyme that reduces inflammation that may result in cancer and heart disease. Strawberries are enriched with folic acid, fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants to improve your immunity and health.
Choosing brightly colored berries as part of your daily meal will reap benefits for your growth, development, immunity, and strength. These fruits contain the following essentials: minerals, vitamins, and fibers.
- Vitamins and minerals found in berries can increase your body’s immune system. Eating berries can also provide folate—a mineral that reduces the formation of congenital disabilities. Another mineral found in berries is potassium, which can improve iron production for your red blood cells.
- Unlike bananas and apples, berries contain a high amount of fiber with reduced carbohydrates. This is why berries like strawberries and blackberries are considered keto-friendly food. Fiber is essential in improving your body’s metabolism and digestion. It can also prevent the risk of constipation and hemorrhoids.
Are Strawberries and Blackberries Good for You?
As abovementioned, strawberries and blackberries are suitable for your body’s growth and development. This fruit variant is also boosted with antioxidants, keeping you away from harmful free radicals inside your body. Free radicals can be found inside your body system; they’re unstable molecules that can destroy your cells as soon it starts multiplying in numbers.
Eating a cup of fresh strawberries can provide 50 calories and 3 grams of fiber. This low-calorie fruit is suited for people using a ketogenic diet, which involves reducing the carbohydrates consumption for the stomach to digest body fat.
Aside from the vitamins A, C, and E—strawberries also contain a flavonoid called anthocyanidins. This compound can only be found on berries and nourishes the memory and learning centers located in the brain. In short, eating berries can sharpen your mental skills further compared to non-berry consumers.
Consuming daily servings of strawberries for eight days can help in reducing your body’s homocysteine levels—which is the main factor for complications related to heart disease.
Blackberries provide leverage of nutrients and minerals provided by strawberries. It contains the following benefits:
- 51x more iron per 100g
- 54x more magnesium per 100g
- 07x more proteins per 100g
- 2% smaller number of sugars per 100g
- 81x more calcium per 100g
- 4g less sucrose per 100g
- 08% more glucose per 100g
- 64% less fructose per 100g
Blackberries can also provide 50% of the daily vitamin C in just a single serving. This vitamin can help collagen production in your connective tissues, blood vessels, and bones. Collagen is essential for the body’s healing, regeneration, and absorption. It also prevents diseases like scurvy, cancer, and heart attack.
Do Blackberries or Strawberries Have More Antioxidants?
With many health benefits provided by berries, it can be considered one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Compared to other fruits, vegetables, and other meal items—blackberries and strawberries contain many antioxidants that are essential in keeping the eyes, face, and skin condition under control.
Several studies reveal that eating berries like blackberries or strawberries can reduce oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is a condition within the body that occurs when the body is not receiving enough antioxidants. This causes the body to slow down, which can even affect your movement and way of thinking.
Berries like strawberries and blueberries provide the highest antioxidant activity compared to other fruits like bananas, apples, and even pomegranates. An increase of antioxidants within the body can produce anthocyanins and other enzymes that can protect your body from damage.
Aside from antioxidants, here are other benefits that you can get from eating berries:
- Berries can drastically improve your insulin levels and blood sugar. This is applicable for both healthy people and those resistant to insulin.
- Berries also contain a good amount of soluble and insoluble fiber that helps you digest and release dirt away from your body. It can also remove the fat blocks that restrain your body’s blood flow.
- Other nutrients found in berries like strawberries and blackberries are as follows: Vitamin K1, Vitamin C, copper, folate, and manganese. Berries are also low in calories—which is beneficial for people during their weight loss journey.
Is It Good to Eat Blackberries or Strawberries Everyday?
Eating berries like blackberries or strawberries every day can give you a lot of benefits. You can have a filling bowl of this tasty fruit as a component of your healthy lifestyle. Prepare your berries by topping them on yogurt, cereal, and even oatmeal. You can improve its flavor and texture by drizzling honey, granola, and dried nuts into your berry mix.
You can also puree these berries to create smoothies and shakes—or you can heat them with sugar to form jams and marmalades. Chop and slice berries and combine them with salad greens, tomatoes, onions to complete your berry-green salad. Heating your berries until it is reduced can also improve your meats’ flavor, wild games, duck, steak, chicken, and fish.
Berries can also be placed on the top of bagel, croissant, or just white bread. You can mix it with other components like cream cheese, hazelnut spread, cheese, or other fruit jam. Introduce berries like strawberries and blackberries for your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
- Strawberries are yummy berries that can be found in local grocery and nearby farms. This inexpensive food is undoubtedly loaded with nutritional elements that can improve your overall system.
- You can prepare strawberries by slicing them then pouring whipped cream all over. You can include nuts, chocolate syrup, or other fruits to incorporate into your berry mix.
- Blackberries are loaded with antioxidants and included on the list of superfoods due to their numerous benefits.
- The only downturn about blackberries is its quick spoilage time and its skin prone to breaking easily.